- BULGARIA CHOOSE SWEDISH GRIPEN!
- More than 1000 paradrops from C-27 and C-130 were performed in "Thracian Spring-2017"
- Hellenic Navy participates in NATO Anti-Submarine Warfare Exercise “DYNAMIC MANTA 17”
- Spring Storm 2017 amphibious operations exercise in the Black Sea
- Bulgarian Naval Academy "Vaptzarov" photo feature: Annual Conference of Adm. Boyan Mednikarov, ANSYS seminar and visit to the Naval and Auxiliary Vessels Flotilla
- Bulgaria receives responses in fighter contest - GripenC/D,ex-US AF F-16A/B and second hand Italian Eurofighter are on the table
- Bulgarian Government launches tenders for two new ships
- Photo feature: Trident Jaguar 17 Exercise in Bulgaria and Norway
- "Thracian Spring-2017" in Bulgaria
- BGS Priboy returns to Bulgaria after participating in the naval exercise Poseidon 2017 hosted by Romania
By Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Ford Williams, Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe and Africa/U.S. 6th Fleet Public Affairs
BLACK SEA (NNS) -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG
78) began the at-sea portion of exercise Sea Shield 2017, Feb. 8, in the Black Sea.
Sea Shield is an annual, Romania-led multinational exercise in the Black Sea designed to improve interoperability and combat proficiency of participating units.
The U.S. participation in this exercise demonstrates the commitment to deploying leading technology and combat capability in support of allies and partners and collective defense of the Black Sea region.
"We've already strengthened our interoperability through the in-port planning phase of Sea Shield 2017, and Porter in particular is looking forward to the operational phase at sea. Advanced exercises like Sea Shield provide us with an opportunity to work across all warfare areas, ultimately improving our combined readiness and naval capability with our Black Sea allies and partners." - Cmdr. Andria Slough, commanding officer, USS Porter (DDG 78)
The exercise is taking place in the Black Sea, in the vicinity of Constanta, Romania, Feb. 1-10.
Participating units from the U.S. are Porter and one P-8A Poseidon from Patrol Squadron 45, both currently operating in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations.
Porter, forward deployed to Rota, Spain, is conducting naval operations in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe. The ship deployed from Naval Station Rota Nov. 30, 2016.
U.S. 6th Fleet, headquartered in Naples, Italy, conducts the full spectrum of joint and naval operations, often in concert with allied, joint, and interagency partners in order to advance U.S. national interests and security and stability in Europe and Africa.
Bulgarian Navy frigate Smeli will participate in Sea Shield 2017 exercise
Bulgarian Navy frigate Smeli will participate in the exercise Sea Shield 2017 hosted by Romania. The exercise will be conducted in the western part of the Black Sea, the area of Constantza port and naval base included.
A total of 2,800 military from 8 countries (Bulgaria, Romania, Canada, Greece, Spain, the USA, Turkey and Ukraine) will participate in the Sea Shield 2017
The frigate Smeli will take part in the exercise in the period 3rd-10th February 2017. The major objective of the exercise will be to improve the operational and tactical compatibility between the navies of NATO member states.
Photos 1, 2 and 3 in the below series show the departure of USS Porter from the Romanian port Constanta.
Photos 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the below series show the departure of Bulgarian Navy frigate Smeli (BGS 11) from Varna for Romanian port Constanta.
Navigate with the buttons down below to explore the gallery!